I just recently rediscovered hummus (I used to hate it when I was younger), and I can’t get over how GOOD it is! I happened to stumble upon this Avocado Hummus recipe and I knew I had to share it here. Creamy avocado + hummus = heaven. This is *super food *city! Pair it with a pita chip or a tortilla chip and you’re good to go.
The original author of this recipe points out that if you want the avocado flavor to shine through a bit more, reduce the amount of tahini by a little bit. If you want it to taste more like hummus, keep the tahini the same. I’m willing to bet the little ones in your life would love this dip- especially because it’s a fun GREEN!
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, well drained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, cored and peeled (13 oz before cored and peeled)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for serving if desired
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tahini
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 – 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves, for topping
- Red pepper flakes, for topping
- Pulse chick peas, olive oil, tahini, lime juice, and garlic in a food processor until smooth, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I did a scant 1/2 tsp salt and about 1/8 tsp pepper), add cumin and avocados and pulse mixture until smooth and creamy, about 1 – 2 minutes longer.
- Serve topped with more olive oil if desired and sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips.
Original recipe found HERE.