Confession: I really, really hate olives. And I also hate chickpeas, but I love hummus. Is that weird? Even with how I feel about both of those things, this salad looks SO good to me!! To be honest, you could probably sprinkle feta cheese on anything and I’d eat it. This Mediterranean Quinoa Salad is perfect for the summer heat. Easy prep and doesn’t require a stove if you make the quinoa ahead of time! Alright, on with the recipe. Let me know if you try it!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup tomato, sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (~1 lemon) or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes, and let sit covered for 5 minutes before letting it cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Mix the quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, feta and chickpeas and toss in the mixture of the lemon juice, oil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
Note from original author: I like my quinoa to be al-dente and not mushy so I use a little less than the commonly called for 2 cups for 1 cup of quinoa; I use 1 1/2 cups of water when I rinse the quinoa and 1 3/4 cups when the quinoa is pre-rinsed.
Option: Add other Mediterranean inspired ingredients like roasted red peppers, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts or even avocados.
Original recipe found HERE.