Since recommitting to our meal plan, I’ve been on the hunt for some new, delicious, HEALTHY recipes that both my husband and I will enjoy. These 21 Day Fix Pork Carnitas are a new favorite of ours and will definitely go into the rotation from now on. Not only are they good, but they are also SO easy. The crockpot is truly one of my best friends. Anybody else hate the massive prep and cleaning that goes into making dinners?
We made these for dinner on a Sunday and then had the leftovers for lunch over the next couple of days. These Pork Carnitas are a must try, even if you’re not following the 21 Day Fix plan.
- 3 lbs of Pork Loin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup of water
For the rub, combine:
- 2 tbsp of chili powder
- 2 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
For the Carnitas:
- Corn Tortillas
- Black or Pinto Beans in a can
- Romain Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Diced Avocado (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix all spices together in a bowl (except the bay leaf).
- Rub down the entire pork loin with the spices and place in your slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaf and water and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Keep an eye on the pork to make sure it’s not absorbing all of the water. If it appears to be drying out, add more water. You want your pork to pull apart easily.
- Once you can shred it, remove it from the crockpot. Shred the pork and then place back into the crockpot. Stir the meat to coat with the juices.
- Add the drained beans and 1/2 cup water to a pan and cook on stove until heated through. Gently mash with a fork until they reach your desired consistency.
Optional: Lightly spray your corn tortillas with cooking spray and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Crisp in the oven on 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until desired crispiness.
Cilantro Lime Topping:
- Greek yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
Combine these ingredients in a bowl for the dressing and set aside.
Time to assemble!
Assemble according to your plan.
Beans and tortilla = yellow
Cheese and avocado = blue
Tomatoes and lettuce = green
Pork = red