I’m always on the lookout for new healthy muffin recipes. Cole loves them and they are an easy item to throw in his lunchbox for preschool. I try to look for ones that contain fruits and veggies and won’t give you diabetes just by looking in their general direction. These ones make the cut! There is still sugar, but only 1 cup spread out through 24 muffins isn’t too bad. The other sugar is occurring naturally through the applesauce and bananas. Your kiddos will have NO idea that they are eating yogurt, apple sauce, pumpkin, carrots, oats, and bananas. They are perfect for toddlers, but don’t let the name fool you! I tested them out as well and they are delicious.
I think it’s important to note that I made regular size muffins and had to bake them for around 22 minutes, rather than the 15-18 minutes that was written in the original recipe. I did not make this recipe up but I’m not sure where it came from originally!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup of plain or vanilla yogurt (heaping, I used vanilla Greek Yogurt)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2-3 very ripe bananas, smashed (the riper the better)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together: sugar, yogurt, applesauce, and butter.
- Add eggs, pumpkin, carrots, and bananas.
- Mix well and add all dry ingredients: oats, wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix until combined.
- Scoop batter into greased mini or regular muffin tins. Can use cupcake liners if you prefer. Recipe can make 48 mini muffins or 20-24 regular size muffins.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes for mini-muffins or 15-18 or until toothpick comes out clean for regular size muffins.
- Remove from pans and cool on cooling rack.
I froze half of them and put the other half in the refrigerator! Here’s my cute little model showing you how good they are! I love to bake with him but I’m not a fan of having tons of sweets in the house (I would eat all of them in one day) so these are a great alternative.
Enjoy! I’d love to hear from you if you give these a try!